TRALAC - Trade Law Centre

AGOA Forum 2018 - Civil Society/Labour Outcomes

Author Civil Society Labour Organisations
Publish Date 12 July 2018

Related News

South Africa: 'Not time to be inward-looking'

South Africa: 'Not time to be inward-looking'

Spare a thought for Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies, who will have a tough job convincing the US not to impose possible export duties on vehicle and component exports. He has already lost the battle to have SA excluded from US President Donald Trump’s tit-for-tat trade war with China, with duties imposed on steel and aluminium. With vehicles and components,...

18 July, 2018
US duties to knock South Africa's AGOA exports

US duties to knock South Africa's AGOA exports

South Africa has raised its concern with the US government about possible duties on vehicle and vehicle component imports, pointing out that their imposition on South African exports would significantly erode the benefit the country is meant to enjoy under the Africa Growth and Opportunity Act (Agoa). Following its decision to impose import duties on steel (25%) and...

16 July, 2018
South Africa: AGOA remains critical in developing regional value chains in Africa

South Africa: AGOA remains critical in developing regional value chains in Africa

The Minister of Trade and Industry, Dr Rob Davies participated in the opening day of the 17th Africa Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) Forum being held in Washington DC from 11-12 July 2018 under the theme “Forging New Strategies for US-African Trade”. The Forum was preceded by the Africa Trade Ministers Consultative Meeting on 10 July 2018. In their remarks to the...

13 July, 2018
Statement of USTR Robert Lighthizer at the opening plenary of the 2018

Statement of USTR Robert Lighthizer at the opening plenary of the 2018

Welcome to this year’s AGOA Forum.  I am pleased to be with you all this morning.  The theme for this AGOA Forum is “Forging New Strategies for U.S. – Africa Trade and Investment.”  I’d like to spend my time with you addressing one very specific new strategy—the Trump Administration’s desire to negotiate a model free trade agreement with a...

11 July, 2018
Remarks by Deputy Secretary of State John J. Sullivan at the AGOA Forum

Remarks by Deputy Secretary of State John J. Sullivan at the AGOA Forum

DEPUTY SECRETARY SULLIVAN: Thank you, Robert, for that kind introduction, and good morning, everyone. It’s a pleasure to be with you this morning. On behalf of Secretary Pompeo, I’m honored to welcome you to the State Department. And on behalf of the United States Government, I’m delighted to open the 17th annual Sub-Saharan Africa Trade and Economic Cooperation...

11 July, 2018
US State Dept: Forging new strategies for US-Africa trade and investment

US State Dept: Forging new strategies for US-Africa trade and investment

This year the U.S Department of State is proud to host the 17th annual African Growth and Opportunities Act Forum, commonly known as AGOA, from July 11-12 in Washington, DC. This year's theme   "Forging New Strategies for U.S.-Africa Trade and Investment," reflects the U.S. commitment to boosting economic growth, spurring development, and reducing...

11 July, 2018